California State Fireworks Laws


Specifically permitted Per APA Std. 87-1, the following items are
permitted: ground & hand-held sparkling devices,
cylindrical & cone fountains, wheel & ground
spinners, illuminating torch, flitter sparklers
(morning glory) not exceeding 10” in length or ¼”
in diameter, toy smoke device, party poppers and
snappers. Fireworks for sale must appear on the
approved list issued annually by the SFM office.
Specifically prohibited Firecrackers, skyrockets, rockets, roman candles,
chasers, all wire & wooden stick sparklers,
surprise items, friction items, torpedoes, firework
kits, and fireworks containing arsenic, phosphorus,
thiocyanates magnesium (magnesium-aluminum
alloys permitted ), mercury salts, picrates or picric
acid, gallates or gallic acid, chlorates (with few
excepts), boron, titanium (except particle sizes
larger than 100 mesh), zirconium, gunpowder, and
fireworks kits.
Age to purchase and sell Age to purchase 16 years of age
Age to sell 18 years of age

Selling period

Noon, June 28, through noon, July 6.

Display Permit

Apply to State Fire Marshal prior to application to
local authorities. After obtaining state license
apply to local authorities at least 10 days before
display date. “Special” state license authorizes
multiple displays at single site only, $350 fee.
“Limited” state license allows holding of a single
display at a single location, $200 fee. “General”
state license allows the holding and conducting of
public displays of dangerous fireworks at various
locations and at various times, $1,500 fee. Public
Display licenses must report all contemplated
displays to State Fire Marshal before display date,
and file a post display report with the CA SFM
within 10 working days of the display.

Insurance Required. Minimum $1,000,000 combined single limits (personal/property) per occurrence annually, may have $15,000 deductible
Operator State license required, apply to State Fire Marshal. Fee $50-$250 dependent on license classification. Written exam and evidence as to qualifications and experience is required. Original operator's license will not be issued for the month of June unless the application was received in the State Fire Marshal’s office on or before the preceding May 15th.

Annual licenses required. Apply to Director of State Police before April 1. Valid May 1-April 30. Non-residents must have license to do business in state. Retailer may purchase license from supplier, who must report to the director of state police semi-annually (January 31 and July 31.) Minimum age 21 years.
Manufacturer $ 1,000
Importer $ 750
Distributor $ 500
Wholesaler $ 100
Retail (per outlet) $ 25
Shooter $ 50
Public Display $ 25

MANUFACTURE, STORAGE, TRANSPORTATION Fireworks must be classified and registered by the State Fire Marshal. State seal of registration must be applied to all classified fireworks. Labeling, record keeping, transportation, manufacturing and storage safety requirements specified in law.
LICENSING State licenses required annually, apply to State Fire Marshal. Valid July 1 through June 30 of the following year. Apply for renewal between January 1 and May 1. License number to be affixed to each order and invoice. Exception: retail license valid only during selling period. Apply to State Fire Marshal on or before June 15.
Manufacturer $ 1,500
Wholesaler $ 3,000
Importer/Exporter $ 4,500
Retail Permit $ 50
Dealer in ag. items $ 500
Snap cap/party popper
Distributor $ 750


State Fire Marshal 1131 "S" Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
P.O. Box 944246 Sacramento, CA 94244-2460



Cal. Health & Safety Code §§ 12500 - 12728;
Cal. Code Regs. tit. 19 §§ 975 - 1053;
Cal. Dept. of Forestry & Fire Protection, 2015 State Approved Safe & Sane Fireworks.

Product has been added to the cart